Monday 27 February 2012

The Best Ever Moist Banana Bread

So many times I have found myself with bananas that have gotten a bit too ripe to eat.  I hate to waste them, so I usually just peel them and pop them in the freezer in a zip lock bag to use later in a banana bread.


This recipe was passed on to me from my lovely friend Jayne Robertson.  I've included a couple of optional ingredients that weren't in the original recipe, but I thought might add a little something extra.












Ingredients

2 cups of plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
½ cup softened unsalted butter
1½ cups caster sugar
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbs sour cream
6 small / 4 large ripe bananas (completely thawed if previously frozen)
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)


Preheat oven to 180°C
Sieve together flour, bicarb and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.  
In another bowl cream the butter, sugar and salt.  
Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream. Mix well. 
Add dry ingredients and mix again.
Mash bananas and stir into mixture.
Pour mixture into a greased (and lined if not non-stick) loaf tin and bake for a around 1-1¼ hours.  (Test if it’s cooked by placing a skewer into the bread – if it comes out clean, it’s done).
Allow to cool for 30 minutes before placing onto a serving plate.





1 comment:

  1. Kylie, I made the banana bread last weekend. Everyone loved it - Harrison asked for 2nds so it must have been good :) Thanks for the recipe. Helen.

    ReplyDelete